Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to have previous martial
arts experience to participate?
Can I come and watch training?
- No! Classes are divided into
two groups, beginners and advanced, and you will be taught
everything you need to know.
Is training dangerous?
- Sure! The best way to see if
you like it is to try it. You can come and attend a class to
watch, or even try out the first two classes for FREE!.
Do I need to be in very good physical condition to participate?
- No! First, you'll be training
with protective gear, and then, most of the work is centered on
technique and moves.
What gear do I need to attend a class?
- Muay Thai is a demanding and
complete martial art, which requires stamina, flexibility, and
endurance - so you might find yourself training hard if you are
out of shape - but everyone is allowed to follow his or her own pace
(Yes you can skip push-ups!).
Is Muay Thai appropriate for women also?
- All you need for the beginner
class is a t-shirt and shorts or workout pants. You can wear
shoes for the warm-up if you wish, but bare feet should be used for
the main portion of the class. If you need any other gear for
the beginner class it will be provided by the club.
How long do I need to train before I can spar?
- You bet! We have a good core of
women in the club, and feature at least one female match every
year in our annual tournament.
Do I have to sign up in Axess to take the class?
- We require that all students
spend at least one quarter with the club before sparring. During
this time it is expected that you learn how to control your
attacks so that you can attack with control and avoiding hitting
Is it too late to join? Its the X week of the quarter
- No! You are welcome to come to class without having signed up on Axess. If you do however, we enforce a two absence policy in order to receive credit.
What if I messed up and I am taking this class for credit and I have missed more than two classes??
- No! You are welcome to start muay thai anytime (if you are taking this for credit read the question below)
- We can arrange a makeup muay thai session, you can come to sparring, or just talk to a staff member to see what ways you can make up your absence.